Thursday, July 26, 2007

Kürbis' First Doctor Visit

As all of those reading this blog should know, Sharon is over three months pregnant and her due date is January 18. In order to have a fun way to refer to our baby while he/she is in the womb, we decided to use the German word for pumpkin (Kürbis) since it is a little, growing Koerber. The German teens we were working with last week got a great kick out of it and would ask questions about our Kürbis throughout the camp. We are still debating whether Kürbis can refer to any child in Sharon's womb, or if we'll have to think of a new name for our next child. The good thing is that we should have a lot of time to think about that.


Anyways, yesterday was Kürbis' first time to see Dr. Steece, who will be overseeing the pregnancy. We had seen a midwife before who was great, but were excited to be able to meet Dr. Steece and get to know him a little bit. It was very interesting to discover that he is the exact age that Sharon's biological father would have been and began practicing the same year that Sharon's dad did. Like Sharon's dad, he also was a Pastor's Kid who decided to go into the medical field. Both Sharon and I really liked him and his experience and warmth were very encouraging to us. The check-up with Kürbis went very well and we got to hear a strong, healthy heartbeat. The ultrasound is scheduled for August 23rd and we are currently planning on not finding out the gender (but that still might change). We've included some pictures below to show you how the pregnancy is going and how hard I (Mike) am trying to really empathize with Sharon through this time.

- Mike

9 comments:

Unknown said...

:-) YEY!!!!!! Im so excited for you guys! you should name Kurbis "Philip" if it's a boy! after me... even though this isnt really an essay.. :-) you should because I say so! :-P *hug* anyways that is REALLY exciting! :-)

Anonymous said...

hey mike. i actually think you lost the power of the belly. lol. ive already sent in my application for consideration for my name to grace your coming pumpkin. love you guys

Megan said...

Yay a picture of pregnant Sharon! I can't believe you talked your poor pregnant wife, who's been sick for months while carrying your child, into not finding out the gender. I think she should get to pick first time around and you get to pick the next time. Because I have to know whether or not to hold onto all my baby girl)clothes for you guys! :)

Anonymous said...

Kürbis is looking great. And I'm still not sure that I understand why his/her parents would consider not finding out Kürbis' gender. If there is a point, please inform me. You will be surprised on either Aug 23rd or on Jan 21st. The only difference is that you can plan ahead. THINK ABOUT IT!

Uncle Brian

Julia Bennett said...

Yea Friend! Auntie Julia is so excited for you guys! Your pregnant belly is cute. I'm so glad to hear about the dr. That's pretty neat.

chrissie k said...

I agree with Uncle Brian!!!! C'mon, be surprised Aug 23rd ;) Just kidding... really, no pressure. We are really looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

I'll post some of our Steeler pics to get you two excited. Training camp is a real BLAST. Although as we were driving up, I asked Matt how many folks he thought would be there... his quick answer was "a couple hundred" We pulled in and joined a crowd of 5500!!! Holy smokes... it was still really darn cool.

Give lil Kurbis a lil rub for us. See you SOON!

Unknown said...

Hey Guys....Christine and I are SO excited for you two!! We were just at the hospital with some of our friends who just had a baby and they didn't find out if it was a boy or girl either. It was such a special moment for the Dad to come out of the room and announce to the world "It's a Girl". So don't listen to everyone pressuring you into finding out. I always just assumed I would find out when we have kids but after experiencing that moment with them I think we are going to be surprised as well!!!!

Bill Knechtel said...

I am probably a voice of ignorance since I neither have kids or have much experience around the birthing process, but I believe when my day comes I want it to be a surprise. Finding out the gender before hand just seems unnatural. I've got your back Mike.

Macksgirl said...

Darling Sharon- your little belly is adorable but I am anxious to see you get HUGE, you skinny thing! Hope (somehow) I get to see you and your little pumpkin soon!