Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Steeler Nation

So once Steelers football season starts every Fall, I always start to feel nostalgia for Pittsburgh, even though I've never lived there. Those of you who are lifelong Steelers fans will understand, but there is just something special about being a part of a worldwide community united by a common passion and heritage. (Since I'm in Seminary, I figure that I should bring in some comparison/contrast with the nature of the church, but I'll leave that up to you to decide on your own). Anyways, as I was watching the Steelers game in a Steelers bar in Boston with 80 other Steelers fans a week and a half ago, I found comfort in being surrounded by that unmistakable Pittsburgh accent. So when I saw this NFL films video on Steelers nation,
(see http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4328974)
I thought that this should be mandatory viewing for every native Pittsburgher or Steelers fan. Even if you are not a Steelers fan, it is a great insight into the impact of the steel industry on the city of Pittsburgh. After watching it, it made me even more proud to be a Steelers fan and encouraged me to stand strong in this hostile land.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I loved the first few minutes - but then I saw how long it was and figured I needed to wait until later! I would just love to be able to watch the Steelers play every Sunday without having to go out. It's not the same when you aren't in your own home on the couch. GO STEELERS!

Anonymous said...

I started watching and got chills--proud to call Pittsburgh my hometown. Had to wait til Dad got home so we could watch it together. Looks like it was true in our case, at least one of our offsprings made it back to Pittsburgh. Love those Steelers! Love that town! Mom