Saturday, November 22, 2008

Caleb the Oinker

I always thought that one of the greatest trials in parenthood is getting your child to eat well. Now I know that stage may come later with Caleb - but I can honestly say that we have yet to have that sort of problem with our little oinker. Our issue is more of how to get him to stop eating - as he'll eat everything that we prepare for him and then have the nerve to try to eat off of his parents' plates as well. He has yet to meet a food that that he hasn't liked - as he eats everything from fruits to vegetables to meats to breads. If he wasn't so darn active crawling around all the time, I'd be seriously worried about an ultra-early onset of childhood obesity. Overall, he's a pretty happy baby - but his most demanding and impatient behavior surfaces if Sharon or I dare take a second too long in between bites when we're feeding him. He also hasn't quite learned the distinction between Caleb's food and his parents' food - as he'll go nuts if we don't give him at least a morsel of whatever we're trying to eat. Though I do appreciate his good eating habits, I'm secretly a little disappointed that I don't get to do the "airplane spoon" trick to interest him in eating. The one time I tried that trick just for fun - he shot me a disgusted "why are you messing around - GET THAT FOOD IN MY MOUTH!" look that revealed that he knows that food is for eating and not for playing.

Some of you may also be wondering what the latest on our house is since we were supposed to be closing this past week. The homeowner was willing to fix some of the issues that came out in the inspection, but unfortunately that also pushed our closing date back to December 1. We just found out that our loan was also officially approved so we will be homeowners in exactly 9 days from now - barring anything unforseen from arising. It's definitely exciting, but also a little scary and overwhelming for me as we're immediately undertaking the kitchen remodel project. I never thought I'd actually enjoy going to Home Depot or Lowes - but I have a feeling that we'll be making many trips there in the next few months so I better start liking it. That's all for now as our next blog entry will hopefully be as proud, new homeowners.


What is it about a cardboard box that brings hours of sheer bliss?


Unfortunately, Caleb still relies on his calculator for more complex multiplication problems.


Caleb's maiden voyage up the steps (I love how Sharon asks "Oh my gosh, he's standing!" like he's juggling flaming swords or something)


"Dadda" or random babble? - you be the judge

3 comments:

Ali Kat said...

He's so cute and still so bald. In the box he looks like a little person, not a baby anymore. Sharon, get used to the stairs thing (and be prepared for a few falls), 'cause the mobility only gets busier from here on in :P Mike, Beth still says "dada" a heck of a lot more than "mama". It can get quite frustrating, me being home with her all day, so encourage him with both, otherwise Sharon might have some jealousy issues ;) So happy fro you guys and your house. Have fun renoing, it's loads of fun! We just finished the carpet in the basement and are enjoying the house so much more, now :D

chrissie k said...

I can almost guarantee that you WILL have the opportunity to do the "airplane" trick at some point in his life. As the mother of one that was quite similar (eating-wise) my gut tells me that around 2ish, like my 1st born, Caleb will need a bit more coaxing... He's so darn cute. Can't wait to see that bug over Christmas!

Anonymous said...

We loved the commentary on Caleb's eating habits. Also the pictures and movies. What fun that little fellow is--can't wait to see him over the holidays. Mom

I loved the video with Caleb wearin his soccer shirt. I have a bit of advice. Since he is a big fellow, the coaches may want him to play up in age group. Don't let him do that until he first develops his ball skills. Maybe we can work on that when he is here over Christmas. Dad