Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Our Headbanging Baby

Over the past two weeks, it has been incredible to see how much more Caleb likes to walk instead of crawling - which is mostly a good thing. I say mostly a good thing because he definitely hasn't mastered that whole balance thing quite yet. Sharon says that he reminds her a little bit of E.T. when he got drunk while Elliot was away at school (and I don't know how she still remembers that scene). His walking style reminds me a bit of Frankenstein, which I guess isn't so much of a complimentary comparison either. I know that babies heads are supposed to be pretty sturdy - but after bonking his head 4 or 5 times today, I'm seriously considering making him wear his bike helmet all day. I am pretty impressed that he doesn't seem to have developed any sort of negative association with walking and the frequently resulting banging of his head off the ground, furniture, or both. I'm hoping that this persistence on the walking front means he will soon be running and out on the soccer field by spring.

As far as our house, we're still painting slowly but surely. I've included a picture of Caleb's bedroom as it was a huge victory to get at least one room done. We're inching closer to having the kitchen almost completely finished - though the cabinets may be another few months since we are removing and repainting all the doors. It has been nice to be able to host people at our house already - as a Bible study at our new church has started meeting here every week. It's been a good way to start getting connected with the community and the ministry going on here - though we're trying not to get too involved until we are a little more settled into our house. In response to our last blog post - we already have had two painters visitors take us up our offer to escape the frozen north for some good old Georgia sunshine. Our seminary friends Bill and Alice drove down from Pennsylvania and we had a great two and a half days of painting, playing games, and enjoying the southern weather. As I write that sentence - I realize I've already turned into one of those obnoxious people who always gloats about their weather. Remind me of that in July and August when I can't leave the air conditioning before nightfall for fear that I will get instantaneous heat stroke. Well, since Sharon is currently painting by herself, I guess I should end this post and commence dribbling paint all over our new kitchen hardwood floor.


Caleb and Mommy putting on their game faces before the AFC Championship



Caleb's bedroom (and the only completely done room in the house)


Just like his daddy, Caleb can even be tickled by "remote control"

Here's some video of our drunk E.T./Frankenstein walking

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with both of you-neither a drunk ET or Frankenstine. He is moving out really well. The tickle video got me laughing with him-he has a very contagious laugh. Great job on the room. What is the white circle on the wall? Mom K

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted again...I check EVERY day!! He he. Cari

Rachel said...

The tickling cracked me up...his laugh is so hilarious!

Megan said...

Love those videos - I just can't help smiling as I watch him laugh hysterically and look so cute walking in his jammies

chrissie k said...

Gosh, cute kid!! Sharon -- that room looks AMAZING. You are my painting inspiration! I may have to call for some tips - as it looks like we are going to be doing a LOT more painting! AHH!!!!

Love you guys. AND miss you.