Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Big 3-0

I probably should have written this post last week, but I've found it difficult in my old age to even remember that I have a blog that I should be updating. The numerous aches and pains that I'm now encountering on a daily basis make it difficult to drag myself out of bed in the morning - let alone type on a keyboard. Also, my vision has gotten so bad that it is hard to read the words that I'm typing - and I've encountered some difficulty in remembering my password for the blog as well. I'm actually just getting to make this post now, as my failing hearing made it impossible to respond to Sharon's numerous requests to write a post about my 30th birthday. But now, here I am to let you all know that I still don't feel a day older than 29 (apart from the minor issues alluded to above).

For my birthday weekend, my good friend Lucas honored me by throwing a impressive party - complete with fabulous hors d'oeuvres, a gourmet meal, an extravagant cake, and lots of music and dancing for the roughly 200 guests. Although the party was technically a "wedding reception" for Lucas and his new bride Katie - it still was a fun way to spend my 30th birthday weekend. Another fun part of Lucas and Katie getting married on my birthday weekend was that the wedding was in the Philadelphia area - and we got to see many family and friends while there. It was a real privilege to serve as a groomsman in Lucas' wedding - as we have had many, many great adventures together over the years. I'm especially excited for him as he begins this new adventure of marriage with his lovely wife Katie. Following are two videos from the weekend, as I'll blame the lack of pictures on that ever-declining memory :)

Caleb really enjoyed his time with Jen, our good friend and co-RA from Black Forest Academy, who quickly developed a bond with Caleb by sharing her pizza.

Caleb's empathy over his dad now being officially over the hill was quickly eclipsed by his obvious enjoyment of the birthday lunch.

3 comments:

Watching1 said...

Sharon & Mike; Hello. You may remember me from CABChurch (or not). Your blog is a delight; it's no wonder you always seemed (at least Sharon) somewhat distracted from the "small-town-ness" of CABChurch with all that bigness of Life going on; it explains a lot. It's wonderful, and a bit ethereal watching the growth of your newborn, as I've since become a Grandma myself and see some similarities w/ the babies' appearances (and jaundice). Just wanted to ask if you still have access to Gordon's posting sites as I am once again looking for affordable living quarters, like a room in a godly, Christian dwelling. Tim S. once let me use access to see what was available. I'd rather do that than craigslist (ugh). email: firenza77@gmail.com -Irene Ryan- Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you that 30 is not old! I certainly hope that you were joking about how you are feeling. It was great to see you all over your birthday weekend. I am sorry that your parents never gave you such a huge birthday celebration. Thanks Lucas! Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Mom
Michael's parents did once give him a big bd party. I remember because Pete Skinner stayed up all night.
Michael
I just finished Breaker Boys. Those guys are over the hill. Good book.
Dad